August 1st, 2011 by WCBC Radio
A small fire at the rear steps of an apartment building on East Main Street where two college students died in December was doused quickly Sunday by Frostburg police and fire units. Damage was confined to the steps and was estimated at $50, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office. The Cumberland Times News reports the incident at 82 E. Main occurred at 12:43 p.m. and was determined to be accidental and caused by improperly discarded smoking material, according to Deputy Fire Marshal Mike Mattingly, The steps involved in the fire lead to the apartment where an accidental fire caused by a woodburner claimed the lives of Evan Kullberg, 23, of Frostburg, and Alyssa Salazar, 20, of Annapolis, on Dec. 4. Both victims were trapped inside their smoke-filled apartment. The fatal fire was determined to be caused by an overheated flue pipe, according to the fire marshal’s office.