image description

Midland Fire Investigation Reported

July 30th, 2018 by WCBC Radio

WCBC News reported a structure fire in Midland Saturday afternoon, which was tended to by five fire companies.

According to the Maryland State FIre Marshal's office, the occupant was not home at the time of the fire.  A neighbor heard the smoke alarm and called fire department. 

The occupant had lit a candle in the bedroom but did not blow it out when he left the house. Prior to leaving,  he undocked his robosweeper to sweep the floor while he was away.   The sweeper hit the stand  and knocked the candle onto the bed causing the fire. 

Fire damage was contained to the bedroom but remainder of house suffered heat and smoke damage.  The occupant is being assisted by Red Cross.

 

MARYLAND FIRE MARSHAL

NOTICE OF INVESTIGATION

Date: July 28, 2018

Time: 1:05 p.m.

Location / Address:  19701 Thomas Hill Road, Frostburg, Allegany County

Type of Incident:   structure fire

Description of Structure / Property: single-family ranch style dwelling

Owner / Occupants:   Blaise Blume

Injuries or Deaths: none

Estimated $ Loss: Structure: $25,000   Contents: $25,000

Smoke Alarm Status:  present and activated

Fire Alarm / Sprinkler Status: not required

Arrests(s): none

Primary Responding Fire Department: Midland

# of Alarms:  1   

Discovered By: neighbor

Area of Origin:  bedroom

Preliminary Cause: accidental – unattended candle

Additional Information: Occupant was not home at the time of the fire.  A neighbor heard the smoke alarm and called fire department.  Occupant lit a candle in the bedroom but did not blow it out when he left the house. Prior to leaving,  he undocked his robosweeper to sweep the floor while he was away.   The sweeper hit the stand  and knocked the candle onto the bed causing the fire.  Fire damage was contained to the bedroom but remainder of house suffered heat and smoke damage.  Occupant is being assisted by Red Cross.

Leave a Reply



View Mobile Site