image description

Bedford Road Fire Ruled Accidental

May 20th, 2019 by WCBC Radio

The Maryland State Fire Marshal's office has ruled a fire that damaged a Bedford Road area home Sunday afternoon as accidental.

The property owner discovered the blaze at around 2:00 PM in the interior basement, and it took about 15 minutes for fire fighters to get the situation in hand.

The fire is said to have occurred after a fuel leak from a furnace.



Date: May 18, 2019

Time: 2:00 p.m.

Location / Address:  12829 Bedford Road, Cumberland, Allegany County

Type of Incident: structure fire

Description of Structure / Property:  one-story single-family dwelling

Owner / Occupants: Gary Murphy

Injuries or Deaths:  none

Estimated $ Loss: Structure: $5,000   Contents: $5,000

Smoke Alarm Status:   present and activated

Fire Alarm / Sprinkler Status: not required

Arrests(s): none 

Primary Responding Fire Department:  Bedford Road

# of Alarms:   1      # Of Firefighters: 20

Time to Control: 5 minutes

Discovered By:  owner

Area of Origin: interior basement

Preliminary Cause:  accidental – fuel leak from furnace

Additional Information: Occupants were not displaced.

Leave a Reply