image description

Fire Leaves Mildland Family Homeless

November 12th, 2016 by WCBC Radio

An accidental fire heavily damaged an Ocean Hill Road residence Friday afternoon, leaving a family of four and two additional adults homeless, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office. The 3 p.m. fire at the single-story residence of Floyd and Dawn Miller was caused by hot embers from a fireplace igniting a sofa, fire investigators said.

 

The victims were provided emergency assistance by the American Red Cross.

Damage to the residence at 19524 Ocean Hill Road southwest was estimated at $35,000 to the dwelling and $10,000 to its contents, according to the fire marshal's office.

 

Midland Volunteer Fire Department handled the incident with assistance of allied volunteer fire departments following alert by the Allegany County 911 emergency center.

Smoke alarms activated when the fire broke out in the living room of the residence.

The fire was discovered by a passerby, authorities said.

Leave a Reply

 



View Mobile Site