image description

Additional Aid Headed To West Virginia

July 7th, 2016 by WCBC Radio

Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin today announced his request for public assistance has been granted for the following counties by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to support the state and residents as recovery continues following recent extreme flooding in the state: Clay, Fayette, Greenbrier, Jackson, Kanawha, Monroe, Nicholas, Pocahontas, Roane, Summers and Webster.

FEMA's public assistance program provides support for debris removal, emergency preparedness and hazard mitigation measures, along with the repair, replacement or restoration of publicly-owned facilities impacted by the disaster. Certain private non-profit organizations may also qualify.

"This added federal assistance will strengthen our efforts to recover and rebuild after these devastating floods," Gov. Tomblin said. "As West Virginians continue working to get back on their feet and back in their homes, I am grateful FEMA will continue having such a wide-reaching presence and offering much-needed assistance to individuals and now to local agencies that support ongoing response efforts."

Gov. Tomblin previously requested individual assistance, which includes medical and housing support and addresses a number of immediate needs. This request was granted for Clay, Fayette, Greenbrier, Jackson, Kanawha, Monroe, Nicholas, Pocahontas, Roane, Summers, Webster and Lincoln Counties. 

Individuals and businesses in counties that have been declared federal disaster areas should visit or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).

Representatives from a variety of state agencies are stationed at FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers to provide assistance to residents and businesses, and FEMA representatives are on hand to provide residents with one-on-one assistance in registering for federal aid. To locate a Disaster Recovery Center near you, visit or call FEMA (1-800-621-FEMA) and dial option 3 to talk with an agent.

West Virginians still needing immediate assistance should contact their local office of emergency management. Contact information for each county office can be found at

Those needing cleanup assistance and individuals wishing to volunteer or donate goods to affected communities should visit or work with an organization in their local community. Before donating to flood relief efforts, be sure the organization is registered with the Secretary of State's Office by visiting


Leave a Reply

View Mobile Site