image description

Charges Filed in Arch Street Stabbing

August 30th, 2021 by WCBC Radio

On 08/29/2021, at 6:17 PM, the Cumberland Police responded to a reported fight in the 200 block of Arch Street. When first responding Officers arrived they learned that several people were involved in an argument in the street that soon turned into a physical confrontation. The fight was over by the time Officers arrived, who were advised that the suspect had fled the scene in a vehicle driven by another subject.

            Officers also learned that one of the participants had suffered several serious stab wounds to the neck and chest. The Cumberland Fire Department ambulance responded to the scene to treat the victim, who was later transported to the UPMC Western Maryland emergency room for further treatment of life threatening injuries sustained during the fight.

            Investigators with the Allegany County Combined Criminal Investigation Unit (C3I) responded to the scene to assist with the investigation.

            Investigators interviewed numerous witnesses and also were able to obtain video surveillance of the confrontation. The scene was processed by an Evidence Collection Technician with the Maryland State Police Forensic Sciences Division.

            Investigators were later advised that the driver of the vehicle had returned to the Cumberland Police Department to speak with Investigators. The vehicle was processed by an Evidence Collection Technician, and additional evidence was recovered.

            As a result, the Cumberland Police obtained an arrest warrant for the suspect, 30 year old Derek Alan Younger, of Cumberland. Younger was charged with Attempted 2nd Degree Murder, 1st Degree Assault, 2nd Degree Assault, and numerous related charges.

            On 08/30/2021 Younger turned himself in at the Cumberland Police Department. He was taken before a District Court Commissioner for an initial appearance, and is currently being held at the Allegany County Detention, without bond, pending his next court appearance.

            The investigation is continuing by the Cumberland Police and C3I.