#

image description

More Former Local Priests Named in Archdiocese of Baltimore Abuse List

April 24th, 2019 by WCBC Radio

The Archdiocese of Baltimore has updated its list of priests and brothers accused of sexual misconduct over the past several decades.  The following is part of the statement released by the Archdiocese.

Upon recommendation of the Archdiocese’s Independent Review Board, the Archdiocese is not publishing the names of additional priests where the allegation of child sexual abuse could not be substantiated or was ruled out, or where the allegation was from a third-party and the Archdiocese could not speak with the alleged victim.

The Archdiocese is aware of numerous additional allegations against individuals who are not named here.  For example, the Archdiocese is aware of allegations involving priests or brothers who never held an assignment in ministry in the Archdiocese, allegations received from someone other than the alleged victim, and allegations that have not been substantiated.  The Archdiocese does plan to update this list as it receives additional information in the future.

All allegations of child sexual abuse are reported to law enforcement regardless of credibility, and victims are offered counseling assistance with a counselor of their own choosing.  Allegations of child sexual abuse involving Church personnel are also reported to the Archdiocese’s Independent Child Abuse Review Board.  None of the individuals listed here is in ministry in the Archdiocese of Baltimore; many have died and some have been returned to the lay state by the Holy See.  All have had their faculties to function as a priest in the Archdiocese of Baltimore permanently removed.

Priests who are listed with no parentheses after their names are priests of the Archdiocese of Baltimore.  A sign of + before the name indicates the individual is deceased; a sign of * before the name indicates the individual was listed in the Archdiocese’s initial publication made in 2002, the remainder were added since that time.  We have edited the list to only include priests with local assignments and have highlighted the local assignments.

+Barnes, Michael – In March 2009, the Archdiocese of Baltimore announced that it had learned of an allegation of sexual abuse against Father Michael Barnes, who left the priesthood in 1988.  Barnes was sentenced in March 2009 in Worcester County Circuit Court upon being found guilty following his Alford Plea to one count of Child Abuse-Custodian related to an allegation that he sexually abused a minor over a period of time from 1977 to 1983.  Barnes died in 2017.  He served as a deacon and priest at St. Michael (Overlea) from 1974 to 1976, then as Associate Pastor of St. Clare from 1976 to 1982.  Barnes served as priest-in-residence at St. Thomas More (Baltimore) from 1982 to 1983, Associate at St. Pius X (Rodgers Forge) from 1985 to 1986, and Associate at St. Mary (Cumberland) in 1988.

 

+Fondriest, Sylvan (Capuchin) – In 2007, an individual alleged sexual abuse by Father Sylvan Fondriest during the late 1950s and early 1960s.  In 2008, the Archdiocese learned of an allegation by a second individual of sexual abuse by Fondriest in the late 1950s.  Fondriest died in 1976.  He served at Ss. Peter and Paul (Cumberland) from 1956 until his death in 1976.

 

+Hopkins, George L. – In 2002, an individual alleged sexual abuse by Msgr. George L. Hopkins in the early 1950s.  In 2007, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles informed the Archdiocese of an allegation that Hopkins sexually assaulted an adult in the early 1950s.  Hopkins left the priesthood in 1969 and later died.  He served at St. Brigid (Baltimore) from 1939 to 1943, the Basilica of the Assumption from 1943 to 1965, and St. Patrick (Cumberland) from 1965 to 1969.

 

+Larkin, Regis F. – In 1992, an individual alleged sexual abuse by Father Regis F. Larkin in the late 1970s and early 1980s.  In 2002, another individual contacted the Archdiocese and alleged sexual abuse by Larkin in the mid-1950s.  Larkin died in 1981.  He served at St. Michael (Frostburg) from 1945 to 1964, St. Ursula (Parkville) from 1964 to 1965, St. Peter (Oakland) from 1965 to 1974, and St. Patrick (Cumberland) from 1974 to 1980.   

 

+Presley, William (Diocese of Erie) – The Pennsylvania Grand Jury reports multiple allegations of sexual abuse against Father William Presley.  Presley died in 2012.  Presley served as campus minister at University of Maryland Baltimore from 1977 to 1978 and also assisted with weekend ministry at St. Mary (Cumberland) from 1989 to 1990.

+Roscetti, Francis (Capuchin) – In 2013, a couple alleged that their child had been sexually abused by Father Francis Roscetti in the mid-1980s.  In 2015, an individual contacted the Archdiocese and alleged sexual abuse by Roscetti at St. Anthony Ridgely in West Virginia in the late 1960s and early 1970s.  Roscetti died in 1991.  He served at Ss. Peter and Paul Church (Cumberland) from 1966 to 1972 and St. Ambrose (Cresaptown) from 1978 to 1988.

 

+Smith, Richard – In 2007, the Archdiocese of Baltimore learned of two allegations of sexual abuse of a minor by Monsignor Richard E. Smith.  The alleged abuse occurred in the mid- to late 1960s while then-Father Smith served at Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish (Woodlawn), known as St. Gabriel since 1997.  Smith was informed of the allegations.  He admitted to some of the allegations and could not recall other details of his interactions with the victims.  Smith was removed from ministry and his faculties to function as a priest were removed.  He died in 2008.  Smith was ordained a priest in 1966.  In addition to serving at Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Woodlawn) from 1966 to 1967, he also served at St. Bernard (Baltimore) in 1967, St. Mary (Cumberland) from 1968 to 1973, St. Mark (Fallston) from 1973 to 1978, St. Jane Frances de Chantal (Riviera Beach) from 1978 to 1983, St. Clare (Essex) from 1983 to 1987, Our Lady of Sorrows (Owensville) from 1987 to 1996, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (Crofton) in 1996, and Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Ellicott City) from 1996 to 2007.

 

+*Duke, Frederick – In 1988, an individual alleged sexual abuse by Monsignor Frederick Duke.  At that time, Duke was retired, blind, in very poor health, and not able to engage in any kind of ministry.  Duke admitted to sexually abusing numerous minors between 1949 and 1961.  He died in 1992.  Duke served at Shrine of Little Flower from 1942 to 1961, St. Mary (Lonaconing) from 1961 to 1967, St. John (Frederick) from 1967 to 1971, St. Mark (Catonsville) from 1971 to 1978, St. Bernard from 1978 to 1979, and Our Lady of Sorrows from 1979 until his retirement in 1987.

 

+*Farabaugh, Kenneth – In 1993, the Archdiocese was informed by a third party that an individual alleged sexual abuse by Father Kenneth Farabaugh in the mid-1980s.  The individual declined to cooperate with the Archdiocese, and to avoid further communication, hastily denied the allegation without providing further information at that time.  Farabaugh also denied the allegation.  In 2000, the same alleged victim met with the Archdiocese and related detailed allegations of sexual abuse by Farabaugh.  The additional information was reported by the Archdiocese to civil authorities, who were investigating Farabaugh at the time of his death.  Farabaugh died on December 12, 2000.  He served at Immaculate Heart of Mary from 1963 to 1964, St. Bernardine from 1964 to 1967, St. Peter (Westernport) in 1967, St. Paul Latin High School from 1967 to 1969, Cardinal Gibbons High School from 1969 to 1980, John Carroll High School from 1980 to 1992, and St. Ignatius (Hickory) from 1992 to 2000.

 

*Dimitroff, Donald (Christian Brother) – In 1997, the Archdiocese of Baltimore learned from the Christian Brothers that an individual alleged sexual abuse by Brother Donald Dimitroff in the early 1980s.  Dimitroff served at Bishop Walsh High School from 1981 to 1983 and assisted with computer classes at St. Frances Academy (Baltimore) in the early 1990s. He lived at the Christian Brothers residence at Calvert Hall High School from 1991 until 2002.

 

Names Previously Released

 

Bevan, Thomas – In June 2009, the Archdiocese of Baltimore learned of an allegations of sexual abuse against Monsignor Thomas Bevan.  The allegations related to the mid-1970s and were immediately reported to civil authorities in Frederick County.  The Archdiocese removed Bevan from ministry on August 19, 2009 in response to the allegations.  In 2005, the Archdiocese had received an allegation of child sexual abuse against Bevan dating back to 1974, which he denied.  The Archdiocese reported that allegation at that time to the Frederick County State’s Attorney and conducted an investigation into the claim.  The Archdiocese determined that there was not sufficient evidence at the time to remove him.  The Archdiocese’s Independent Review Board affirmed the Archdiocese’s handling of the allegation and the civil authorities in Frederick County did not pursue the matter at that time.  In September 2010, Bevan entered an Alford plea to one count of child abuse and he was sentenced to 18 months of home detention for sexually abusing the male minor in the 1970s.  Bevan was ordained a priest in 1963.  In addition to serving at St. John from 1974 to 1979, he also served at Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Middle River) as an Associate from 1963 to 1974, St. Mark (Fallston) as Pastor from 1979 to 1991, St. Mary (Cumberland) as a Temporary Administrator from 1991 to 1992, St. Patrick (Mount Savage) as a Temporary Administrator in 1992, and St. Patrick (Cumberland) as Pastor from 1997 to 2009.  Bevan served as Executive Director of the Secretariat for Priestly Life & Ministry for the National Conference of Catholic Bishops (now the USCCB) from 1992 to 1997.  He also served in the Office of Clergy Education for the Archdiocese from 1976 to 1991.  During his time as an Associate at Mount Carmel, he taught Religion and Church History at the parish high school.  While an Associate at St. John, he taught liturgy courses at Mount St. Mary’s.

 

+*Brett, Laurence (Diocese of Bridgeport) – Beginning in 1973, numerous individuals alleged sexual abuse by Father Laurence Brett from the late 1960s to the mid-1970s.  The allegations against Father Brett have been widely covered in the media.  [Brett died in 2010].  Brett served at Calvert Hall High School from 1969 to 1973, and from 1967 to 1973, at St. Jane Frances de Chantel, St. Patrick (Cumberland), and St. Pius X.  Beginning in 1976, Brett served as Chaplain at the School Sisters of Notre Dame Motherhouse.  He worked at a religious publisher in Washington DC until the early 1990s.

 

*Carney, John – In 1991, an individual alleged sexual abuse by Father John Carney in the early 1970s.  Carney denied the allegation in 1991, but upon being confronted again in 1995, he acknowledged that he had engaged in inappropriate conduct.  The Archdiocese removed his faculties to perform any ministry at that time.  Carney served at Our Lady of Victory from 1963 to 1968 and 1970 to 1972, St. Peter (Westernport) from 1968 to 1969, and St. Philip Neri (Linthicum) from 1969 to 1970.  From 1972 to 1982, he served as Chaplain at Caton Nursing Home and Mt. Wilson State Hospital.  He resided at St. Clement (Lansdowne) in 1972, St. Agnes from 1973 to 1977, and St. Peter (Baltimore) from 1977 to 1981.  Carney served as Chaplain at Misericordia Hospital (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) from 1982 to 1995 while residing at Holy Cross and St. Augustine (Elkridge).

 

*Helowicz, Marion – In 1988, an individual alleged sexual abuse by Father Marion Helowicz in the early 1980s.  Later that year, Helowicz pled guilty to a sexual offense involving that individual.  Helowicz’s faculties to perform ministry were removed in 1988.  Between 1990 and 1993, two other individuals alleged that Helowicz had sexually abused them in the early 1980s.  Helowicz served at St. Michael (Frostburg) from 1974 to 1980, St. John the Evangelist (Severna Park) from 1980 to 1981, St. Stephen (Bradshaw) from 1981 to 1984, and St. Mary (Cumberland) from 1984 to 1988.

 

+*Hopkins, Robert F. – In 1995, two individuals alleged sexual abuse by Father Robert F. Hopkins in the 1970s.  When confronted about these allegations, Hopkins admitted to sexual misconduct with a number of minors from the late 1950s to early 1980s.  Hopkins had retired just prior to the receipt of these allegations and his faculties to perform any ministry were removed.  [He died in 2006.]  Hopkins served at St. Mary (Cumberland) from 1948 to 1962, Our Lady of Hope from 1962 to 1968, St. Jerome from 1968 to 1971, St. Mary (Lonaconing) from 1971 to 1982, and St. Patrick (Cumberland) from 1982 to 1995.

  

+*Simms, William – Beginning in 1985, numerous individuals alleged sexual abuse by Father William Simms from the 1960s to the early 1980s.  Simms admitted to sexual misconduct with numerous minors.  In 1985, Simms was removed from his assignment.  [He died in 2005.]  After completing over two years of residential treatment (including a few months of supervised ministry at Sacred Heart Hospital in Cumberland while residing at St. Patrick (Cumberland) in 1986), Simms was assigned to an administrative job at the Tribunal in the Catholic Center from 1987 to 2002.  Simms served at the Basilica of the Assumption from 1962 to 1966, St. Joseph (Cockeysville) from 1966 to 1971, St. Ursula from 1971 to 1978, St. Joseph (Buckeystown) from 1978 to 1981, and St. Andrew by the Bay from 1981 to 1985.  He resided at the South Baltimore Clergy Residence on Warren Avenue from 1987 to 1992 and St. Thomas Aquinas from 1992 to 2002.

 

Wielebski, John – In January 2010, the Archdiocese of Baltimore announced that it had learned of three allegations of sexual misconduct against Father John Wielebski, 62, pastor at Resurrection of Our Lord Church (Laurel).  He was removed from ministry at that time.  All of the allegations are related to acts which allegedly occurred in the mid- to late 1980s.  In July 1978, Wielebski was ordained a priest of the Order of the Most Holy Trinity, a religious order also known as the Trinitarians.  He was incardinated, the process whereby a diocesan or religious order priest becomes a priest of another diocese, into the Archdiocese of Baltimore in 1988.  Prior to his incardination, Wielebski served at Sacred Heart (Glyndon) from 1974 to 1978, Holy Trinity Monastery (Pikesville) from 1981 to 1983, Redeemer House Shelter (Baltimore) from 1983 to 1984, St. Bernard (Baltimore) from 1984 to 1985, and St. Dominic (Baltimore) from 1985 to 1988.  Wielebski served at the Msgr. Clare O’Dwyer Retreat House (Sparks) from 1988 to 1991, St. Patrick (Cumberland) from 1991 to 1996, Sacred Heart (Glyndon) from 1996 to 1999, and Resurrection of Our Lord (Laurel) from 1999 to 2009.

 

 

Leave a comment