image description

Oakland Man Dies of Burn Injuries

January 20th, 2022 by WCBC Radio

An 84-year-old Oakland man has succumbed to burn injuries he sustained after he inadvertently lit his clothes on fire yesterday afternoon while working near a propane heater. Monte A. Wilson died late last night at West Penn Hospital in Pittsburgh after being treated for second and third-degree burns to his lower body.

Investigators concluded Mr. Wilson was working on his tractor and using a kerosene-fueled propane heater in his outdoor garage in the 7400 block of Gorman Road when his pants caught fire due to being too close to the heater. Wilson was able to walk out of the garage and use snow to extinguish the fire; however, he sustained significant burn injuries. He was able to call family members to report the accident. Southern Garrett County Rescue Squad initially treated Wilson for injuries, and he was subsequently transported to West Penn Hospital by Maryland State Police Aviation Command.

Mr. Wilson was admitted to the burn unit in critical condition, where he died late last night.