image description

Federal dollars secured to replace Cumberland Street Bridge

November 12th, 2018 by WCBC Radio

Following a brief meeting between City officials and CSX Transportation Monday afternoon, City Solicitor Mike Cohen announced that federal funds to replace the Cumberland Street bridge on the Westside have been secured. Last week the city council took action to approve the transfer ownership of that structure from CSX Transportation to the city.  The aging span was closed a year ago after failing a safety inspection. Monday’s meeting, the fourth between the two sides since August, lasted just 45 minutes. Cohen confirmed that  federal dollars have been approved- and as soon as the state selects a consultant- the next steps can begin. The cost of a new bridge at the site was estimated at $3 million by the Wilson T. Ballard engineering firm. Federal dollars are expect to cover 80 percent of the cost, with CSX contributing the remaining 20 percent. The city is  also working on plans to build new bridges at  Fayette and Washington streets- and studies will be commissioned next week to get cost estimates

Leave a Reply



View Mobile Site