image description

Flue malfunction caused Long Stretch fire

December 27th, 2016 by WCBC Radio

Fire that extensively damaged a National Pike home in Garrett County late Monday afternoon originated in the attic and was caused by a wood stove flue malfunction, investigators from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said Tuesday.  The Cumberland Times News reports the fire at 17825 National Pike occurred at about 4:15 p.m. in the brick building equipped with a metal roof and located in the area commonly known as Long Stretch, according to the Garrett County 911 emergency center.

Damages to the structure owned by Glenn Walker were estimated at $150,000 to the building and $25,000 to its contents, according to the fire marshal's office. Investigators described the building as a single family dwelling with attached living space.

 

The fire operation was directed by the Eastern Garrett Volunteer Fire Department. Sixty volunteer firefighters from numerous companies from Garrett, Allegany and Mineral counties responded to the incident.

Grantsville, Shaft and Frostburg volunteer fire companies were among various mutual aid volunteer departments that responded to the scene or stood by at the stations of responding companies.

A passerby detected the fire and there were no injuries.

 

The location has a Frostburg mailing address and is located near Route 40 Elementary School.

Walker was reportedly being assisted by family members, according to the fire marshal's office.

Leave a Reply

 



View Mobile Site