image description

New Info Leads To Reconsideration Of Kidnapping Charges

July 8th, 2015 by WCBC Radio


New information has been developed as a result of continued investigation into the allegations that 36 year old Devin Terrell Joyner abducted 16 year old Erica Lucinda Sue Taylor from her residence in the 200 block on Maryland Avenue.

            The incident was first reported to the Cumberland Police at 2:31 PM on Tuesday, 06/30/2015. When the first Officers arrived, they were advised by the complainant/witness that there had been an argument between Taylor and Joyner that escalated. The witness believed that they observed Taylor being assaulted by Joyner and being forced against her will to leave with him.

            Based on the witness account, at that time an intensive search that included the use of K-9 tracking dogs and other resources was initiated by the Cumberland Police. Numerous law enforcement agencies, including the Maryland-National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, the FBI, the Maryland State Police, the C3I Narcotics Unit, and C3I joined in as the search continued over the next several days.

            During those next several days, numerous attempts were made to try to contact both Taylor and Joyner. All were unsuccessful. This behavior seemed to further lend credence to the witness account that Taylor may have been taken against her will.

            Then, on Monday evening, 07/06/2015, Joyner contacted the Cumberland Police to turn himself in on the outstanding warrant. During questioning Joyner denied assaulting Taylor or taking her from the residence against her will.

            Taylor was not with Joyner at the time he turned himself in. Investigators developed information on her whereabouts, and were able to locate her safe and unharmed.

            C3I Investigators had their first opportunity to interview Taylor in depth after she was located. Taylor admitted that she and Joyner had argued, but advised Investigators that Joyner did not assault her, and stated that she left willingly with him.

            Both Joyner and Taylor advised Investigators that they were aware that law enforcement was looking for them. They stated that they didn’t return sooner because they were “afraid” they would be in “trouble”, due to the publicity surrounding the entire incident.

            Based on this information, Investigators are consulting with the Allegany County State’s Attorney’s Office to determine what disposition should be made concerning the existing charges that have been filed against Joyner.


Leave a Reply

View Mobile Site