image description

One Rescued From Second Floor at Barton Fire; blaze ruled accidental

March 24th, 2020 by WCBC Radio

Firefighters rescued one person from the second story of a residential house fire Tuesday morning in Barton, according to emergency services officials.

“Firefighter from Barton Volunteer Fire Department arrived on scene and confirmed one occupant was trapped on the second floor due to heavy smoke conditions,” Lt. Todd Bowman, the Allegany County Department of Emergency Services public information officer said. “Fire crews used ground ladders to rescue the occupant.”

The incident was reported at 7:53 a.m. to the Allegany County Joint Communications Center. First reports indicated a fire in the basement with smoke conditions on the remaining floors. Five residents occupied the structure at 18913 High Street, Barton, only three were home at the time of the fire, according to Bowman. Two were able to escape without issue. “County EMS personnel stationed at Tri-Towns EMS evaluated the victim that was trapped,” Bowman said. “All occupants refused medical care and no transports were made from the scene.”

The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office reports the fire was accidental, resulting from the improper use of a space heater.

Units from Barton, Lonaconing, Bloomington, Midland, Westernport, Piedmont, Keyser, Tri-Towns EMS and Allegany County Department of Emergency Services responded.

Leave a Reply



View Mobile Site