image description

Teachers union, allies to seek limit on school testing

January 2nd, 2017 by WCBC Radio

The state's largest teachers union and its General Assembly allies are planning to renew their push to limit the amount of time public school systems in Maryland devote to standardized testing.

Betty Weller, president of the Maryland State Education Association, vowed that her 73,000-member union would mobilize behind a statewide cap on testing when the legislature opens its 90-day session in January.

"We're going into another school year where some students are having 30-40-50 hours of testing and nothing's been done to curb that," Weller said. The union-backed legislation would limit the amount of time set aside for testing to 2 percent, leaving 98 percent for instruction.

That would cap testing at 21.6 hours per year in elementary and middle schools and 23.4 hours in high schools, according to legislative analysts.

Leave a Reply

 



View Mobile Site